Police kill two bandits, recover stolen motorcycles in Sokoto
August 19, 2026 5:36 pm
The Sokoto State Police Command has intensified its crackdown on banditry, kidnapping and motorcycle theft, recording a series of operational successes across the state.
The command said two suspected bandits were neutralised, several suspects arrested, firearms and ammunition recovered, while no fewer than 17 stolen motorcycles were recovered in operations targeting criminal syndicates.
The Commissioner of Police, CP Hayatullah Shaffa, disclosed this on Wednesday while briefing journalists on the command’s recent achievements in the fight against violent crimes and other criminal activities.
He said the latest breakthrough against banditry occurred on August 15, when the command received information about an attempted attack on Ndankaradu village in the state.
According to him, operatives of the Anti-Kidnapping Unit, Voluntary Vigilante Group Rescue and other tactical teams were immediately deployed to the area.
“The gallant operatives engaged the hoodlums in a fierce gun duel which lasted for a considerable period. Overwhelmed by the superior firepower and tactical manoeuvring of the joint team, the bandits fled into the nearby forest with gunshot wounds,” Shaffa said.
He added that a subsequent combing operation led to the recovery of two AK-47 rifles, two magazines and 54 rounds of ammunition.
The police commissioner also announced the arrest of three suspected members of a motorcycle theft syndicate following credible intelligence.
He identified the suspects as Siba Abdullahi of Nimbisu village, Hassan Hassan of Tamaji and Osman Ishan of Ngorobu area, all in Sokoto.
Shaffa said five stolen motorcycles and a fabricated pistol were recovered from the suspects’ premises.
He disclosed that investigations were continuing, with efforts underway to arrest other members of the syndicate.
In a separate operation, the command arrested two suspects, Hamza and Yasser, following complaints by community leaders from Manababa, Mabira and Ngorongu areas over rising cases of motorcycle theft, extortion and illicit drug activities.
The CP said investigations revealed that the suspects allegedly worked with other individuals currently at large to steal motorcycles and sell them to buyers.
He said further investigation uncovered a network allegedly involved in forging documents for the stolen motorcycles.
“Further investigation revealed that some suspects were responsible for forging documents of the stolen motorcycles, while buyers of the stolen motorcycles have also been arrested,” he said.
According to him, 12 stolen motorcycles have so far been recovered in connection with the syndicate, while a manhunt for fleeing suspects continues.
Shaffa also disclosed the arrest of a suspected bandit, Abdullah Habuba, alias Osho, during an operation in Tudun Diki village.
He said the suspect was arrested on August 8 following credible intelligence and allegedly confessed to being a key member of a kidnapping syndicate operating in Gwadabawa, Bodinga and other parts of the state.
“Habuba is currently providing actionable intelligence to assist the police in tracking and arresting other members of the syndicate,” the CP said.
The command also recorded a breakthrough in a child abduction case after rescuing a 10-year-old boy, Mohammed Sofianu, who was reported missing in Gidambadi, Tangaza Local Government Area.
Shaffa said the child was allegedly lured into a room, injected with a sedative and forced into a sack.
“The victim was immediately rushed to the hospital, where he was treated and discharged. One suspect has been arrested in connection with the case and is providing useful information to the police,” he said.
The CP said investigation into the incident was ongoing, while efforts were being made to apprehend other suspects allegedly connected to the crime.
Shaffa commended the officers and men of the Strike Force, Anti-Kidnapping Unit and other tactical teams for their professionalism, courage and swift response to criminal activities.
He assured residents that the command would sustain its operations against banditry, kidnapping, motorcycle theft and other forms of criminality.
“The command will not rest until all the fleeing suspects are apprehended and prosecuted,” he said.
The commissioner warned criminals operating in Sokoto State that they would be relentlessly pursued and brought to justice.
He also urged residents to remain vigilant and report suspicious activities to the nearest police station.
Shaffa further warned members of the public against purchasing stolen motorcycles, stressing that buyers of stolen property would also face the law.
He called on parents and guardians to caution their children and wards against involvement in criminal activities, assuring residents that the command remained committed to protecting lives and property across the state.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]
