AdvertisementAccidents and disasters in ChinaChinaPolitics
Owners of Chinese mine where 82 died in blast accused of ‘serious violations’ of the law
The Shanxi-based company has previously been fined for safety breaches and was ordered to ‘immediately’ suspend operations
1-MIN READ1-MIN Listen

Alcott Weiin ChangzhiandPhoebe Zhangin ShenzhenPublished: 12:02pm, 24 May 2026The owners of a Chinese coal mine where at least 82 people were killed have been accused of “serious violations of the law” by the local government.
As search and rescue operations continued through the night, Chen Xiangyang, the deputy party secretary of Changzhi in Shanxi province, said that all four mines operated by the Shanxi Tongzhou Group had been “immediately” ordered to suspend operations.
“Preliminary assessment indicates serious legal violations by the coal mine enterprise involved. We will spare no effort or cost to search for and rescue the missing personnel. The specific cause of the accident is under further investigation,” Chen told a press conference late on Saturday.
Advertisement
More than 120 miners needed hospital treatment after Friday’s accident, and state media reported that most of the injured had been transferred to hospitals in major cities. However, a South China Morning Post reporter at the scene saw that dozens appeared to still be in the county hospital, many with oxygen masks.
Security remained tight at the accident site with more than a dozen police stationed along the roads.
Advertisement
Media have reported that the group’s management had been fined for security breaches in the past.
AdvertisementSelect VoiceSelect Speed00:0000:001.00x
