Director-General of the National Youth Service Corps, Brig. Gen. Olakunle Nafiu, has warned corps members against participating in political campaigns or using their NYSC identities and social media accounts to promote political parties and candidates ahead of the 2027 general elections.

Nafiu also urged corps members to be cautious about misinformation and AI-generated materials, stressing the need to authenticate information before sharing or reposting content online.

He gave the warning on Wednesday during a working visit to the 2026 Batch ‘B’ Stream II Orientation Course at the NYSC Permanent Orientation Camp in Katsina, according to Arise TV.

The NYSC boss reminded corps members that their participation in partisan political activities was prohibited and that they were expected to maintain political neutrality throughout their service year.

He warned that corps members whose online activities were found to be promoting political parties or candidates while using their NYSC identities could face disciplinary measures.

Nafiu also urged them to develop the habit of checking the origin and authenticity of information before distributing it online, particularly as advances in artificial intelligence have made it easier to produce convincing but misleading photographs, videos and other digital content.

He said corps members should examine the source of information, establish when images or videos were produced, and determine whether the material had been digitally manipulated before sharing it.

The director-general further noted that corps members would have a significant role to play in the 2027 elections, with many expected to serve as ad hoc personnel during the electoral process.

He described their prospective involvement as an important civic responsibility and urged them to discharge their duties impartially to support the conduct of credible, free and fair elections.

Nafiu also encouraged the corps members to participate actively in the NYSC Skills Acquisition and Entrepreneurship Development programme, saying the acquisition of vocational and entrepreneurial skills could improve their prospects in an increasingly competitive economy.

He explained that the orientation course was intended to prepare corps members for the responsibilities of national service by promoting discipline, leadership, teamwork, obedience and a strong sense of responsibility.

According to him, activities such as military drills and Man O’ War obstacle exercises were part of the programme designed to build resilience and teamwork among participants.

Earlier, the Katsina State NYSC Coordinator, Evans Okwor, disclosed that 1,333 corps members had registered for the orientation exercise.

He said the figure comprised 759 male and 574 female corps members, while 363 officials were involved in the administration of the programme.

Okwor explained that 173 NYSC officials and 190 personnel from partner agencies were participating in the exercise.

He added that the camp clinic had 40 medical personnel and was equipped with essential medicines to respond to the healthcare needs of participants.

According to him, 783 corps members and 40 camp officials had received medical attention since the commencement of the exercise, with 14 cases referred to the General Hospital, Katsina.

He said two patients remained on admission as of the time of his report.

Okwor identified malaria, typhoid, asthma, peptic ulcer disease, body pains and blood pressure-related conditions among the health challenges recorded at the camp.

The coordinator commended the corps members for maintaining discipline and adapting positively to the camp’s routines and activities.

The 2026 Batch ‘B’ Stream II Orientation Course began on August 5 and is scheduled to end on August 25, 2026.

‘How Obasanjo, I recovered stolen money for Nigeria’ – Atiku

‘How Obasanjo, I recovered stolen money for Nigeria’ – Atiku


‘Why we are turning our backs on Nigerian Army’ – South-East youths 

‘Why we are turning our backs on Nigerian Army’ – South-East youths 


Nigerian in Australia denied bail over alleged $5m disability scheme fraud

Nigerian in Australia denied bail over alleged $5m disability scheme fraud


Northern senators seek end to cycle of human killings in Plateau

Northern senators seek end to cycle of human killings in Plateau


Osun shooting: ‘Davido was targeted’ – Police confirm one dead

Osun shooting: ‘Davido was targeted’ – Police confirm one dead


Lagos court remands three over alleged importation of pump-action rifles

Lagos court remands three over alleged importation of pump-action rifles


FCT: ‘Go and buy land’ – Wike sacks Abuja car dealers

FCT: ‘Go and buy land’ – Wike sacks Abuja car dealers


Amnesty raises alarm over Sokoto attack as death toll hits 32

Amnesty raises alarm over Sokoto attack as death toll hits 32


IGP Disu calls for coordinated regional response to insecurity in North-West

IGP Disu calls for coordinated regional response to insecurity in North-West

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *