Nigeria grants Rwandan nationals 30-day visa-free entry
May 15, 2026 7:12 pm
Getting your Trinity Audio player ready…
The Nigeria Immigration Service has announced the implementation of a 30-day visa exemption for Rwandan nationals.
The directive followed an announcement by President Bola Tinubu at the Africa CEO Forum in Kigali, Rwanda.
The exemption reciprocates a similar gesture extended by the Rwandan government to Nigerian citizens.
The NIS, in a statement signed by its Service Public Relations Officer, Akinsola Akinlabi, on Friday, said the arrangement took immediate effect.
“Following the announcement by His Excellency President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, GCFR at the Africa CEO Forum in Kigali, Rwanda, granting Rwandan nationals a 30-day visa exemption, reciprocating similar gesture from Rwandan Government to Nigerian citizens, the Nigeria Immigration Service has completed all arrangements for the directive’s implementation,” the statement read.
Under the bilateral arrangement, Rwandan nationals may enter Nigeria without a visa for up to 30 days for lawful purposes, including tourism, business, and official engagements.
The service, however, noted that those seeking to stay beyond the approved period must obtain the appropriate visa.
“Individuals seeking to remain in Nigeria beyond the approved 30-day period will be required to obtain the appropriate visa through a Nigerian Embassy or High Commission abroad, or the Nigeria e-Visa channel,” it stated.
The NIS added that all international entry points had been put on notice.
“All international entry points, including airports, land borders, and seaports, have been directed to commence immediate implementation of the policy in line with the Presidential directive,” the statement said.
The service described the initiative as one that “reflects the strong diplomatic and bilateral relations between the Federal Republic of Nigeria and the Republic of Rwanda, while promoting intra-African mobility, tourism, and economic cooperation in line with continental aspirations.”
It added that it “remains committed to facilitating safe, orderly, and lawful migration in accordance with international best practices and the Renewed Hope Agenda of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, GCFR.”
Fawzi is a journalist and subeditor covering a wide range of beats including politics, metro, and international news, among others. He also optimises stories for digital audiences.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]
Stay in the know—fast. Get instant alerts, breaking headlines, and exclusive stories with the Punch News App. Download now and never miss a beat.
