Michael Schumacher’s son Mick has not closed the door on a return to Formula 1 in the future. The 27-year-old raced for Haas during the 2021 and 2022 seasons but has since been absent from the grid.
Following stints as a reserve driver, he turned his attention to endurance racing before making the move to IndyCar. He made his debut at the Grand Prix of St Petersburg in March after signing with Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing but still remembers his F1 spell fondly despite some challenging times.
“It would be a lie if I said that I don’t go back to the Formula 1 times every now and then and think about what it was like to drive there,” Schumacher Jr told ntv. “It’s a different time, of course. If an option were to come up again, I wouldn’t say no, of course. That’s definitely the case.”
The German made the remarks as he edges closer to his first ever Indy 500 appearance, with the race scheduled for May 24, after getting a handful of races under his belt. “IndyCar is of course a big change to what I’ve experienced in motorsport so far,” he added, while noting he has been enjoying himself so far.
JOIN US ON FACEBOOK! All the best sports news and much more on our dedicated Facebook page
Mick chose his current path despite attracting interest from the newly established Cadillac F1 team. Sergio Perez and Valtteri Bottas were ultimately named as drivers for the newcomers, though Schumacher had been in the running for a position as their testing and reserve driver.
“I think that the whole situation has been a tough one in some ways, but also, I think understandably, they went into a different direction,” he said in November. “The information that I had, up to pretty much the end, we’ve been in contention for that seat, and then they went a different direction, which is fair enough.
“And it just led to me having to understand, ‘Okay, what do I want? Do I want to try and keep getting back onto the F1 grid? Or, do I want to do racing that I enjoy, and that’s obviously single-seaters?'”
View 2 ImagesThe German driver spent time as a reserve in F1 before switching to IndyCar(Image: Mark Thompson, Getty Images)
Schumacher failed to finish higher than 17th in his first five races in the 2026 IndyCar series but indicated he is “still settling in” following a change of environment. He sits 24th in the standings, with team-mates Graham Rahal and Louis Foster placed 10th and 20th respectively.
He is not the only ex-F1 driver competing in the series this season. Romain Grosjean, who claimed 10 podium finishes with Lotus between 2013 and 2015, signed up with Dale Coyne Racing for the 2026 campaign.
Spanish driver Alex Palou tops the standings ahead of Saturday’s Sonsio Grand Prix. The 29-year-old, who also claimed top spot in 2025, has secured three victories from five starts.
Article continues belowSky Sports, HBO Max, Netflix and Disney+ with Ultimate TV packageThis article contains affiliate links, we will receive a commission on any sales we generate from it. Learn more
£44SkyGet the deal here
Sky has upgraded its Ultimate TV and Sky Sports bundle to now include HBO Max, Netflix, Disney+, discovery+ and Hayu, as well as 135 channels and full Sky coverage of Formula 1.
Sky broadcasts every practice, qualifier and race throughout the season, as well as exclusive coverage of the Premier League, EFL, darts and golf.
