Kwankwaso mourns Sokoto boat accident victims, seeks investigation

August 21, 2026 1:40 pm

Obidient, Kwankwasiyya

NDC vice-presidential candidate for 2027 election, Rabiu Kwankwaso

By  Christabel Ndoeche

The National Democratic Congress vice-presidential candidate, Rabiu Kwankwaso, has expressed sadness over the boat mishap in Gorau community, Goronyo Local Government Area of Sokoto State, and called for an investigation into the incident.

Kwankwaso, in a statement released on Friday, described the reported loss of 41 lives in the accident as “profoundly painful and heartbreaking” and urged authorities to strengthen safety measures on the nation’s waterways.

The accident occurred on Thursday when a boat conveying farmers and other passengers to their rice farms reportedly capsized in the community.

Kwankwaso said, “I am deeply saddened by the tragic boat mishap that occurred earlier today in the Gorau community of Goronyo Local Government Area, Sokoto State, which has reportedly claimed the lives of 41 people.”

“The loss of so many lives in a single incident is profoundly painful and heartbreaking. My thoughts and prayers are with all those affected by this tragedy,” he added.

The former Kano State governor commended those involved in the rescue operation for their efforts to save lives and assist victims.

“I commend the rescuers and everyone who took part in the emergency response for their courageous efforts to save lives and assist the victims,” he said.

He also urged the relevant authorities to investigate the circumstances surrounding the accident and take steps to prevent a recurrence.

“I also urge the relevant authorities to promptly and thoroughly investigate the circumstances surrounding this incident, and to strengthen safety measures on our waterways to prevent the recurrence of such a devastating tragedy,” Kwankwaso said.

Meanwhile, the Sokoto State Police Command said 77 passengers, including men, women and children, were on board the boat when it capsized.

The command later confirmed that 46 bodies had been recovered, 15 passengers rescued alive, while 16 others remained missing as rescue operations continued.

The police spokesperson, DSP Ahmed Rufai, said local divers, officials of the National Emergency Management Agency, the State Emergency Management Agency and the Police were involved in the search and rescue operation.

“Forty-six corpses have so far been recovered, while 15 persons were rescued alive. The rescue team, comprising local divers, NEMA, SEMA and the Police, is still searching for the remaining 16 persons,” Rufai said.

Kwankwaso extended his condolences to the people and government of Sokoto State and prayed for the peaceful repose of those who lost their lives.

Christabel Ndoeche

All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.

Contact: [email protected]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *