Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Mojtaba Khamenei has ordered Iran’s near-weapons-grade uranium stay in the country, according to two senior Iranian sources – a move expected to further anger Donald Trump.
The US President has threatened to hit Iran “even harder” and get a “little bit nasty” if a peace deal is not reached soon – with all US demands so far aimed at preventing Tehran from acquiring a nuclear weapon.
“We hit them very hard. We may have to hit them even harder – but maybe not,” Trump said during an address at the US Coast Guard Academy yesterday. “But we’re not going to let Iran have a nuclear weapon and blow up the entire Middle East, Israel, the entire Middle East, and then come here for you. Not going to happen.”
Benjamin Netanyahu has said he will not consider the war over until enriched uranium is removed from Iran.
New UpdatesView PostView PostView PostView PostView PostView PostView PostView PostView PostView PostView PostToday22:00 BST
The United States will be sending an additional 5,000 troops to Poland, Donald Trump said on Thursday.
Trump, in a Truth Social post, cited his relationship with Poland’s conservative nationalist president, Karol Nawrocki, as the reason behind his decision to send additional troops.
The announcement comes two days after Vice President JD Vance told reporters a US troop deployment to Poland had been delayed.
The US had been reviewing its troop presence in Europe and had long been expected to scale it back following demands from Trump that NATO take a larger role in the defense of Europe.
“Based on the successful Election of the now President of Poland, Karol Nawrocki, who I was proud to Endorse, and our relationship with him, I am pleased to announce that the United States will be sending an additional 5,000 Troops to Poland,” Trump said in the post.
Ethan BlackshawToday20:14 BST
The Iranian ambassador has been presented with credentials, four months after the ceremony was postponed because of the suppression of protests in Iran.
Eshagh Alhabib presented his Letters of Credence to President Catherine Connolly at Aras an Uachtarain on Thursday.
In January, the Department of Foreign Affairs said the decision to delay the ceremony was taken after a “significant” number of Iranian demonstrators were killed and injured.
Protests sparked by the country’s ailing economy began in late December, and escalated into rallies opposing Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei and his regime.
They continued despite the internet and telephone lines being cut off and thousands were killed and detained in a bloody crackdown by the Revolutionary Guard.
Ethan BlackshawToday18:16 BST
The FTSE 100 ended a see-saw session in the green, as rising mining stocks offset disappointing earnings and a higher oil price.
The FTSE 100 closed up 11.13 points, 0.1%, at 10,443.47. The FTSE 250 ended up 109.54 points, 0.5%, at 22,947.92, and the AIM All-Share rose 3.83 points, 0.5%, at 796.64.
Oil prices were back on the rise as International Energy Agency chief Fatih Birol warned oil supplies could be “entering the red zone” if there is no progress towards resolving the Middle East war and reopening the Strait of Hormuz.
Brent crude for July delivery traded higher at 107.98 US dollars a barrel on Thursday, up from 105.26 dollars at the time of the equities close in London on Wednesday.
Ethan BlackshawToday16:51 BST
A diplomatic deal between the United States and Iran would be unfeasible if Tehran implemented a tolling system in the Strait of Hormuz, US Secretary of State Marco Rubio told reporters on Thursday.
“No one in the world is in favour of the tolling system. It can’t happen. It would be unacceptable. It would make a diplomatic deal unfeasible if they were to continue to pursue that. So it’s a threat to the world if they were trying to do that, and it’s completely illegal,” Rubio said.
He also told reporters there had been some progress in talks with Tehran to end the US-Israeli war on Iran, but that Washington was dealing with “a system that itself is a little fractured.”
“There’s some good signs,” Rubio said. “I don’t want to be overly optimistic … So, let’s see what happens over the next few days.”
Ethan BlackshawToday15:51 BST
Campaigners have cheered the Chancellor’s move to take aim at oil and gas profits with plans to close a tax loophole on overseas activities and raise hundreds of millions of pounds.
In a speech outlining cost-of-living support measures for households and businesses, Rachel Reeves said she would stop firms – including oil and gas giants such as BP and Shell – from reducing their tax liabilities by using corporate structures involving foreign branches.
She said some oil and gas groups that operate overseas through foreign branches “have structured their tax affairs in a way which ensures they pay little or no corporation tax on their UK energy trading profits”.
“Today we are putting an end to that practice,” she announced.
Ethan BlackshawToday14:53 BST
Israeli attacks have killed at least 3,089 people in Lebanon and injured at least 9,397 in the country since March 2, Lebanon’s Health Ministry has said.
Eliana NunesToday13:31 BST
Iran’s near-total internet blackout has entered its 83rd day, according to global internet monitor NetBlocks.
Iranian authorities first cut internet access for the country’s 92 million citizens on January 8 as nationwide protests intensified. Restrictions were partially eased on January 28, although severe disruption remained in place.
Authorities imposed a new blackout after US-Israeli strikes began on February 28.
Eliana NunesToday12:18 BST
Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Mojtaba Khamenei has issued a directive that the country’s near-weapons-grade uranium should remain in the country, two senior Iranian sources told Reuters.
Khamenei’s alleged order is expected to further anger US President Donald Trump and complicate talks on ending the war in the Middle East.
Read more on this breaking story here.

Iran’s Supreme Leader has issued a directive that the country’s uranium should not be sent abroad(Image: ISNA/AFP via Getty Images)
Twenty Iranian sailors on board a vessel seized by US forces have returned to Tehran from Islamabad, according to Iran’s IRNA.
“The release was achieved after intensive consultations between Iranian Foreign Minister and his Pakistani and Singaporean counterparts,” the report said.
Eliana NunesToday09:23 BST
Forty-two US aircraft have been lost or damaged in the Iran war – including three F-15E Strike Eagle fighter jets worth a total of $300 million downed by friendly fire – according to a report filed by the Congressional Research Service.
Eliana NunesToday08:59 BST
Pakistan’s army chief Asim Munir is heading to Tehran amid its efforts to mediate talks between Iran and the US to end the war in the Middle East, according to Iran’s ISNA news agency.
Pakistan’s Interior Minister Mohsin Naqv arrived in Tehran yesterday. It was his second visit in less than a week.
Eliana NunesToday08:07 BST
White House Deputy Chief of Staff Stephen Miller says Iran will “face punishment from our military” if Tehran fails to agree to a deal as negotiations appear to stall.
“This new team in Iran has a choice to make,” Miller told Fox News. “They can either agree to a piece of paper that is satisfactory to the United States, or they can face a punishment from our military, the likes of which has not been seen in modern history. That’s the choice that they face.”
Eliana NunesToday07:37 BST
Donald Trump insisted that negotiations with Iran were in the “final stages”, but reiterated his familiar threats, saying the US would do things that are a “little bit nasty” if a deal is not reached.
“We’re in the final stages of Iran. We’ll see what happens. Either have a deal or we’re going to do some things that are a little bit nasty, but hopefully that won’t happen.” Trump told reporters at Joint Base Andrews on Wednesday. “Ideally, I’d like to see few people killed, as opposed to a lot. We can do it either way.”
Eliana NunesToday07:21 BST
Donald Trump said the US may have to attack Iran “even harder” if Tehran does not make a deal soon.
“We’ll see what happens,” the US president said during an address at the US Coast Guard Academy on Wednesday. “We hit them very hard. We may have to hit them even harder – but maybe not.”
“Everything’s gone. Their navy’s gone. Their air force is gone. Just about everything. The only question is, do we go and finish it up? Are they going to be signing a document? Let’s see what happens.”
Eliana NunesToday06:43 BST
It is being reported that Iran has executed two people.
Tasnim news agency reported that Iran’s charges against the men were: creating a group to disrupt the country’s security and belonging to a terrorist organisation.
They were also accused of “armed uprising through the formation of criminal groups, shooting and attempted assassination in line with the goals of the terrorist group”.
Tannur AndersToday06:01 BST
Russian media has reported that Iran has advanced weapons that have not yet been deployed.
Al Jazeera news agency reported that an Iranian military official, speaking on Iran’s preparedness for another US strike, told the RIA Novosti news agency: “We have produced modern weapons domestically, which have not yet been used on the battlefield and have not actually been tested.”
“In terms of equipment and defence capabilities, we do not face any shortages that would prevent us from defending our country.”
“This time, we do not intend to act with restraint.”
Tannur AndersToday04:34 BST
Washington and Tehran are in discussions over the wording of a proposed ceasefire document, Iran’s Nour News Agency reported.
“Based on the original text of Iran’s 14 points, the exchange of messages has been carried out on several occasions,” Iran’s Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei said.
“We have received the views of the American side and are reviewing them.”
The messages are being exchanged through Pakistan.
The comments were made during a visit by Pakistan’s interior minister Mohsen Naqvi.
Tannur AndersToday03:11 BST
US President Donald Trump and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu have reportedly had an explosive phone call as the allies clashed over the war in Iran.
Trump told the Israeli leader on Tuesday, May 19, that mediators were working on a “letter of intent” which both Washington and Tehran would sign, while Netanyahu urged the US to continue to put military pressure on Iran, according to reports by Israel’s Channel 12.
Tannur AndersToday00:46 BST
Hezbollah has claimed that it launched more than 20 attacks on Israeli forces in southern Lebanon on Wednesday, May 20.
Tannur Anders20th May23:53 BST
Lebanon’s official National News Agency has reported that Israeli forces carried out a series of attacks across the southern part of the country.
The National News Agency reported that eight towns were targeted with air strikes and heavy gunfire.
Tannur Anders20th May22:46 BST
Gaza flotilla activists detained by Israel must “be returned swiftly to their own countries, and it is imperative that they be treated well”, says UN chief Antonio Guterres’s spokesperson.
“Everyone who has been detained by the Israeli authorities who were members of the flotilla needs to be treated with respect and dignity, like anyone who is detained,” Stephane Dujarric told reporters at a briefing in New York.
“And they need to be returned back to their homes, immediately.”
Tim Hanlon20th May22:11 BST
Greece has joined the countries demanding the release of Gaza flotilla activists by Israel after they were captured in international waters.
“The behaviour of the Israeli Minister of National Security [Itamar Ben-Gvir] which was directed against the [Greek] citizens participating in the Global Sumud Flotilla, is unacceptable and absolutely condemnable,” said the Greek Foreign Ministry in a statement.
“We demand full respect for international humanitarian law and human rights and call on the Israeli authorities to proceed with the rapid completion of all procedures and the immediate release of the Greek citizens.”

The Global Sumud Flotilla ships detained by Israel are brought to Ashdod Port(Image: Anadolu via Getty Images)
The Iranian President says that the country has “explored every avenue to avert war” but would not “surrender through coercion”.
Writing on X, Masoud Pezeshkian he said: “Iran has consistently honored its commitments and explored every avenue to avert war; all paths remain open from our side.
“Forcing Iran to surrender through coercion is nothing but an illusion. Mutual respect in diplomacy is far wiser, safer, and more sustainable than war.”
Tim Hanlon20th May20:12 BST
Donald Trump says that negotiations with Iran were “in the final stages”, while warning of further attacks unless Tehran agrees to a peace deal.
Six weeks since Trump paused Operation Epic Fury for a ceasefire, talks to end the war have shown little progress. Trump said this week he came close to ordering more attacks, but held off to allow time for negotiations.
“We’re in the final stages of Iran. We’ll see what happens. Either have a deal or we’re going to do some things that are a little bit nasty, but hopefully that won’t happen,” he told reporters. “Ideally I’d like to see few people killed, as opposed to a lot. We can do it either way.”
Speaking later at the US Coast Guard Academy, Trump continued: “We may have to hit them very hard… but maybe not” – and reiterated his determination not to allow Iran to acquire a nuclear weapon.
Tehran, for its part, accused Trump of plotting to restart the war, and threatened to retaliate for any strikes with attacks beyond the Middle East. “If aggression against Iran is repeated, the promised regional war will extend beyond the region this time,” the Revolutionary Guards said in a statement.
Tim Hanlon20th May19:37 BST
The US military has issued an image of patrol during the blockade of Iranian ports as it says that 90 ships had been redirected and a further four were disabled.
A post on X from US Central Command: “A US Marine Corps AH-1Z Viper attack helicopter patrols near a commercial vessel transiting regional waters as American forces enforce the maritime blockade against Iran.
“As of May 20, U.S. forces have redirected 90 ships and disabled 4 to ensure compliance.”
Tim Hanlon20th May18:36 BST
Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps said that it gave permission for 26 ships to pass through the Strait of Hormuz over the past 24 hours.
In a statement, the IRGC stated: “In the past 24 hours, the Public Relations Department of the IRGC Navy reported that 26 vessels—comprising oil tankers, container ships, and other commercial ships—transited through the Strait of Hormuz with the coordination and protection of the IRGC Navy.”
The statement added: “Transit through the Strait of Hormuz is conducted only after receiving permission and in coordination with the IRGC Navy.”

Boats on the Strait of Hormuz(Image: Getty Images)
Iran’s former ambassador to China says that the country is playing a role in the peace process behind the scenes.
Abdolreza Rahmani Fazli said that China prefers to be visibly involved when there is a genuine chance of a positive outcome.
“Despite the complexities in the Iran-US relations file, China has played a key role in the mediation process underway in Islamabad,” he said, reported the Mehr news agency.
“The current mediation process is the result of cooperation among Iran, Pakistan, and China.”
It is the first time a prominent Iranian politician has revealed China’s role behind the scenes in the ceasefire talks with Pakistan the public face of mediation.
Tim Hanlon20th May16:36 BST
Donald Trump says he is “in no hurry” on making a deal with Iran and seeing the Strait of Hormuz open.
Asked about it before boarding Air Force One to fly to the US Coast Guard Academy in Connecticut to deliver a commencement address, Trump suggested he might be willing to accept a smaller scale deal with Tehran that would simply open the Strait of Hormuz but potentially not address larger goals.
Trump said of such a deal, “The strait would have to open immediately.” But he added, “I’m in no hurry.”
He shrugged off suggestions that Republican performances in November’s midterm elections could increase the political pressure to make a deal, but also said: “We could do it another way.”

Donald Trump says he has no rush for a deal with Iran(Image: AFP via Getty Images)
Iranian Parliamentary Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf says the country has used the ceasefire to “reconstruct” its military.
In a message to the Iranian people, reported the Mehrs news agency, he said: “For about a month, we have witnessed a cessation of fire on the military battlefronts, but the overt and covert movements of the enemy show that, in parallel with economic and political pressures, the enemy has not abandoned its military goals and is seeking a new round of war and a new adventure.”
He continued saying that Iran had “made the best use of the ceasefire opportunity to reconstruct our military capability, and by divine grace and the backing of the people, they enjoy such readiness today that will surprise the enemy and will certainly make them regret any renewed aggression against Iran.”
Tim Hanlon20th May15:15 BST
A planned increase in fuel duty has been scrapped to help motorists faced with rising pump prices as a result of the war in Iran.
Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer told MPs the 5p per litre fuel duty cut introduced by the Conservative government in March 2022 would be extended for the rest of the year. That means the rate will remain nearly 53p per litre.
Rates were previously planned to increase by 1p per litre on September 1, with a pair of 2p per litre rises on December 1 this year and March 1 next year.
Iran’s restrictions on tankers passing through the Strait of Hormuz means the average price of a litre of petrol and diesel at UK forecourts is 26p and 44p respectively more expensive than before the conflict started on February 28.
Sir Keir said: “Families across the United Kingdom are facing impacts of a war that we did not choose.” He said: “This is not our war, but while the parties opposite wanted to jump into it, Labour will always protect working people.”

Starmer has said an increase in fuel duty has been scrapped(Image: Alamy Live News.)
