Iran’s president Masoud Pezeshkian has said that it is now time to end the war between Tehran and the US on Friday.
“It is better that we bring the war to an end now as we are in a position of power and dignity,” Pezeshkian said in a meeting with doctors in the country.
“The whole world acknowledges our victory and emphasises that America has attacked our schools, hospitals and infrastructure in violation of all regulations and is hated around the world.”
It comes after Tehran accused US president Donald Trump of threatening “economic terrorism” after the US treasury said it would introduce the “toughest sanctions in history” against Tehran.
Trump has promised to wage “Economic Warfare and Isolation on an unprecedented scale”, suggesting the US will extend sanctions to allies that have helped mediate peace talks.
Meanwhile, over 750 members of the US military have been injured since the Iran war began, US officials said. More than 50 soldiers were added to the Pentagon’s casualty database on Wednesday, bringing the total figures to 757 injured and 18 killed.
Iran ‘not ready to make right deal’, says Trump
US president Donald Trump, who has warned of economic consequences against any country that provides “any type of lifeline to Iran,” said that Washington was observing “what happens” in the conflict.
“They would love to make a deal, but they’re not ready to make the right deal, in my opinion,” Trump said of Iran.
Alisha Rahaman Sarkar22 August 2026 06:17
Iran says Trump’s sanctions ‘assertion of extraterritorial sovereignty’
Iranian foreign ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei said this morning that the imminent US announcement of new economic sanctions on Iran was an “assertion of extraterritorial sovereignty over every independent member state of the United Nations”.
“Such secondary sanctions find no foundation in international law,” he said in a post on X.
US president Donald Trump, who has warned of economic consequences against any country that provides “any type of lifeline to Iran,” said yesterday that Washington was observing “what happens” in the conflict.
Alisha Rahaman Sarkar22 August 2026 05:48
Recap: Iranian president calls for end to conflict
Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian has called for an end to the conflict with the US, telling the country’s doctors at a meeting: “It is better that we bring the war to an end now as we are in a position of power and dignity.”
He said: “The whole world acknowledges our victory and emphasises that America has attacked our schools, hospitals and infrastructure in violation of all regulations and is hated around the world.”
His remarks come after the US promised “the toughest sanctions in history” for Iran after failed attempts to negotiate an end to the war.
Tehran accused US president Donald Trump of threatening “economic terrorism” after Trump promised to wage “Economic Warfare and Isolation on an unprecedented scale,” suggesting he may extend sanctions to allies that have helped mediate peace talks.

Nicole Wootton-Cane22 August 2026 05:00
In pictures: Diesel prices rise in US amid Iran war
Nicole Wootton-Cane22 August 2026 04:00
Recap: Iran threatens to attack US targets in Europe if Trump escalates war, says report
Iran is considering launching attacks on US military targets in Europe if President Donald Trump escalates the conflict, according to a report.
Sources close to Iran’s government told the Financial Times that potential targets included a British air base in Cyprus that was targeted by a drone in March.
Other countries in southeastern Europe such as Bulgaria, which approved US access to its Bezmer air base for refuelling last month, were also weighed up as a potential target for strikes.
It follows warnings that Tehran is considering switching to a “fully offensive” strategy, a senior Iranian official told Reuters on Monday.
You can read more below:
Iran threatens to attack US targets in Europe if Trump escalates war, says report
Data shows that traffic through the shipping route remains at a standstill despite Trump saying it is open for businessNicole Wootton-Cane22 August 2026 03:00
Watch: Trump cannot let Iran make him ‘look like a loser,’ says former Fox News personality
Nicole Wootton-Cane22 August 2026 02:00
Trump officials worked with Iran on deportation lists as tensions exploded, emails reveal
Newly disclosed emails show US immigration officials worked directly with Iranian representatives to deport Iranian nationals in 2025, even as tensions between Washington and Tehran were escalating.
The records, obtained by the National Iranian American Council and released Tuesday, detail cooperation surrounding three removal flights in September and December 2025 and January 2026 that returned more than 100 Iranians.
The emails indicate Iranian representatives requested changes to proposed passenger lists and that US officials sometimes accommodated those requests.
You can read the full report below:

Trump officials worked with Iran on deportation as tensions exploded, emails reveal
Emails reveal that Iranian officials had significant influence over which Iranian immigrants in the U.S. were sent back to their home country in 2025, despite tensions between the countriesNicole Wootton-Cane22 August 2026 01:00
Editorial: The world could face the biggest credit crunch in history – thanks to Donald Trump
As US debt reaches the barely imaginable milestone of $40 trillion, America’s ability to meet its financial obligations – coupled with the reality that the global economy depends on decisions made in Washington – should concentrate White House minds on ending its consequential war with Iran.

The world could face the biggest credit crunch in history – thanks to Donald Trump
Editorial: As US debt reaches the barely imaginable milestone of $40 trillion, America’s ability to meet its financial obligations – coupled with the reality that the global economy depends on decisions made in Washington – should concentrate White House minds on ending its consequential war with IranNicole Wootton-Cane22 August 2026 00:00
US military presence in Middle East could be cut back after Iran war ends: report
The Pentagon is considering reducing US military presence in the Middle East following the conclusion of the Iran war, according to a report.
Troops could be withdrawn from the Persian Gulf, officials told The Washington Post, following months of attacks by Iranian forces that have targeted US bases across the region since the war began in late February.
The Pentagon’s policy office is evaluating US regional presence, with US Central Command (Centcom) and Joint Staff also looking at the situation, a senior Pentagon official told the outlet.
While no formal review has been ordered by US defence secretary Pete Hegseth, “decisions are going to have to be made on some of this stuff,” the official told The Post.
You can read more below:

US military presence in Middle East could be cut back after Iran war ends: report
The U.S. has around 50,000 troops stationed in the region and around 20 bases but the Iran war has come at a cost Nicole Wootton-Cane21 August 2026 23:00
Three admit arson attack at Persian media company’s UK base
Two men and a teenage boy have admitted taking part in an arson attack on the UK office of a Persian media company.
On April 15, the offices of Volant Media, the parent company of Persian news channel Iran International, were allegedly targeted.
Police had been alerted after an “ignited container” was thrown towards the site in Wembley, north-west London, landing in a car park where the fire immediately went out.
There were no injuries and the suspects left the area in a black four-wheel-drive vehicle, police had said.
Nathan Dunn, 19, pleaded guilty to a charge of arson being “reckless as to whether life is endangered” on April 15.
During an Old Bailey hearing on Friday, a 17-year-old boy denied that charge but admitted the lesser alternative offence of arson.
The prosecution indicated his plea was not accepted and he faces a trial on February 1 next year.
Nicole Wootton-Cane21 August 2026 22:00NewerOlder
