A swimmer has been killed by a 13ft great white shark in a horror attack.
The 38-year-old man was attacked at Horseshoe Reef, near Perth, Western Australia, police said. Aerial footage showed the man being rushed to shore after he was bitten with paramedics performing CPR on him.
A police spokesperson said: “Sadly the man was unable to be revived.” Western Australia’s Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development told the AFP news agency it received a report that the man was bitten by the great white.
The department urged the public they should take “additional caution” in waters in the area. Police later added: “About 9.55am on Saturday 16 May 2026, emergency services were advised of a possible shark attack off the coast of Rottnest Island.
View 2 ImagesHundreds of people have died following shark attacks in Australia since records began(Image: Getty Images)
“A 38-year-old man was in the water at Horseshoe Reef when he was believed to have been bitten by a shark. The man was conveyed by vessel to shore, where he was met by SJA WA paramedics.”
It comes after a large shark was seen about 87 yards offshore about the time of the attack, said Surf Life Saving WA. A report will be prepared for the Coroner, according to The Guardian.
Rottnest Island is a popular tourist destination in the Australian state. It is the first fatal attack in Western Australia since March last year. In that attack, a surfer was attacked on a remote beach.
Article continues below
There have been an estimated 1,300 shark attacks that have been recorded since 1791. Some 260 of those have since resulted in death.
This is a Breaking News story. You’ll be more likely to see our stories when any big news breaks in future by simply by clicking this link. You can also join The Mirror’s WhatsApp Community or follow us on Google News, Flipboard, Apple News, TikTok, Snapchat, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube and Threads – or visit The Mirror homepage.
