Army intercepts three disassembled canoes procured for terrorist leader in Zamfara
August 23, 2026 10:32 pm
One of the canoes intercepted
Photo: Nigerian Army
Troops of the Joint Task Force North West, Operation FANSAN YAMMA, have intercepted three disassembled canoes reportedly procured by notorious terrorist leader Shehu Bagewaye to facilitate the movement of his fighters across riverine areas in Zamfara State.
The interception, which took place on August 23, 2026, followed credible intelligence that the canoes had been procured from Yauri Local Government Area of Kebbi State and were being transported to Zamfara.
In a statement signed by the Media Information Officer, Joint Task Force (North West), Operation FANSAN YAMMA, Aliyu Danja on X on Sunday, the canoes were intended to help the terrorists overcome river obstacles restricting their movement and enhance their mobility for criminal activities against vulnerable communities.
Acting on the intelligence, troops of Sector 2 conducted a covert operation along identified areas of interest and intercepted the three canoes while they were being transported to their intended destination.
The individuals conveying the items reportedly abandoned them and fled after sighting the troops.
“The recovered items are currently in the custody of troops, while efforts are ongoing to track those connected with the attempted movement,” the Joint Task Force said.
The military described the operation as another intelligence-led success in its efforts to disrupt terrorist logistics and deny criminal elements the resources needed to enhance their mobility and operational reach.
“The interception underscores the increasing effectiveness of intelligence-driven operations by Operation FANSAN YAMMA in disrupting terrorists’ logistics and denying criminal elements the resources required to enhance their mobility and operational reach,” the statement said.
The Joint Task Force added that it remains committed to identifying and disrupting terrorist networks, logistics and freedom of movement before they can threaten communities.
It also called on members of the public to continue providing timely and credible information to security forces.
“Such cooperation remains critical to disrupting terrorist activities and safeguarding lives and property across the Joint Operations Area,” the military said.
Gilbert Ekugbe is a journalist at Punch Newspapers with over a decade of experience reporting on business and economic affairs. He covers markets, corporate developments, finance, and Nigeria’s broader economic landscape. His reporting is informed by extensive newsroom experience and a strong commitment to accuracy and responsible journalism, helping readers understand complex business issues.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]
