Anthony Joshua fight may not happen, says Tyson Fury

August 21, 2026 1:34 pm

Anthony Joshua fight may not happen, says Tyson Fury

Tyson Fury and Anthony Joshua

GETTY IMAGES

By  Gilbert Ekugbe

Tyson Fury has cast fresh doubt on his highly anticipated fight with fellow British heavyweight Anthony Joshua, saying the bout “doesn’t look like it’s going to happen” amid an ongoing dispute over where it should be staged.

The two fighters had been expected to meet in November in one of the biggest fights in British boxing history.

However, negotiations have been complicated by disagreement over whether the contest should take place in the United Kingdom or the United States.

Joshua and his promoter, Eddie Hearn, are pushing to honour an agreement for the fight to be held in the UK, while Saudi organisers and other stakeholders favour Madison Square Garden in New York.

As reported by BBC Sport on Friday, Fury, speaking on social media, blamed Hearn and Joshua’s camp for the latest uncertainty.

“Doesn’t look like they’re going to sign the fight and it doesn’t look like it’s going to happen all because Eddie Hearn and Anthony Joshua want more money,” Fury said.

Hearn has explained that moving the fight to the United States would have tax implications for Joshua and could leave the former world champion with less money than he would receive from a UK event.

Fury responded angrily, describing Joshua and Hearn as “disgusting” and “money-thirsty” before accusing his long-time rival of lacking the courage to face him.

“I’ll move on and fight somebody else but just know you never had the guts to fight Tyson Fury, ever,” Fury said.

The proposed fight is being backed by Saudi organisers and is expected to be broadcast by Netflix, with New York currently among the leading venue options. However, no final agreement on the location has been confirmed.

Despite Fury’s latest outburst, Hearn has previously maintained that negotiations remain ongoing and that Joshua is keen to face Fury. The dispute over the venue and financial terms, however, has left the long-awaited all-British heavyweight showdown facing renewed uncertainty.

“Tyson Fury claims Anthony Joshua fight in serious doubt after his British rival asked ‘for more money’”

Gilbert Ekugbe

Gilbert Ekugbe is a journalist at Punch Newspapers with over a decade of experience reporting on business and economic affairs. He covers markets, corporate developments, finance, and Nigeria’s broader economic landscape. His reporting is informed by extensive newsroom experience and a strong commitment to accuracy and responsible journalism, helping readers understand complex business issues.

All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.

Contact: [email protected]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *