All eyes are on Labour’s national executive committee and whether Andy Burnham will be allowed to stand in a looming Westminster by-election.

Giving the Greater Manchester Mayor the green light would likely end up with him toppling Keir Starmer and becoming Prime Minister.

But a meeting of Scottish Labour’s governing body on Saturday is also important.

The summit will be the first time the SEC has met since the Scottish party received its latest Holyrood election thrashing from the SNP.

Scottish Labour Anas Sarwar will face the wrath of colleagues and he could be in line for a difficult day.

The consensus view is Keir Starmer’s under-performance was the key factor behind last week’s defeat.

Labour won 851,897 votes in Scotland at the general election, but fell to 440,708 two years later.

Starmer and SarwarView 2 Images

Keir Starmer and Anas Sarwar

Sarwar did not do anything during his leadership to justify such a fall and the Prime Minister remains the chief culprit.

But a growing number of figures are increasingly annoyed at the poor campaign Sarwar ran against the SNP.

Complaints include anger at Sarwar fighting a “38 seat” campaign when focusing on twelve would have been better.

Critics say the manifesto was uninspiring and they became tired of seeing Sarwar take part in substance-free campaign stunts.

Scottish Labour even failed to return a gender-balanced group, with only around 40% of the new intake being female.

The SEC is made up of parliamentarians, trade unions, other affiliated groups and reps speaking for members.

They will all be entitled to their say and anger is mounting.

One senior figure said: “If you look at it from the perspective of Holyrood elections, Anas has been our least successful leader. His results were even worse than when Kezia Dugdale was in charge. There was no silver lining.”

A second insider said: “The lack of humility from the leadership is breathtaking. If I had delivered a result of that nature, I would be too embarrassed to get out of my bed.”

Brian Leishman, the MP for Alloa and Grangemouth, told the Record at the weekend that Sarwar and his deputy Jackie Baillie should resign immediately:

“The campaign was nowhere near as good as it should have been. Name me a single policy in the manifesto that would lift children out of poverty?

Chris Murray, the party’s MP for Edinburgh East and Musselburgh, said Scottish Labour ran a “pretty poor campaign” and failed to “paint a vision of what Scotland could be in the future”.

He pointedly said Sarwar and Scottish Secretary Douglas Alexander should “reflect on that”.

Sarwar is under no immediate pressure to quit for a number of reasons.

One, the uncertainty over Starmer’s future is the lead story and is dwarfing anything that is happening in Scottish Labour.

Two, none of the MSPs who are tipped to succeed him are in any rush to take over.

Being Scottish Labour leader is a thankless task and the lack of a stampede is telling.

But senior party figures believe there has to be a reckoning for such a terrible result.

Saturday’s showdown is the perfect opportunity for Scottish Labour officials to demand answers and accountability.

Article continues below

Starmer may not be the only leader who faces pressure to set out a timetable for his departure.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *