FG demands end to attacks on Nigerians in S’Africa

August 20, 2026 12:11 am

Sola Enikanolaiye

Minister of State for Foreign Affairs, Sola Enikanolaiye

By  Deborah Musa

The Federal Government has called on South Africa to take urgent and concrete measures to end xenophobic and Afrophobic attacks against African nationals in the country.

The government also urged stronger migration governance, responsible political leadership and deeper people-to-people relations across the continent to prevent further violence against migrants.

The Minister of State for Foreign Affairs, Amb Sola Enikanolaiye, made the call on Tuesday at a virtual roundtable on “South Africa’s Xenophobia in Comparative Perspective,” convened by the Nigerian Institute of International Affairs.

According to a statement issued on Wednesday by his Special Adviser, Digital Media and Public Diplomacy, Raphael Oni, the minister stressed that Nigeria viewed the situation as a challenge that must be addressed without either denial or exaggeration, arguing that the term Afrophobia more accurately captured the nature of the attacks.

He described the violence as having “a particularly African, post-colonial and post-apartheid character.”

The minister expressed concern over the irony of citizens from countries that supported South Africa during its anti-apartheid struggle now being treated as “unwanted outsiders.”

To preserve the historical record of Nigeria’s role in South Africa’s liberation struggle, Enikanolaiye said the Ministry of Foreign Affairs had directed the NIIA to undertake a comprehensive study documenting the country’s support for the struggle.

He said Nigeria’s financial commitment to the liberation struggle was estimated at more than $60bn, in addition to the nationalisation of British Petroleum, provision of scholarships and hospitality extended to South African leaders in Nigeria.

“The relationship between Nigeria and South Africa is not reducible to trade statistics or diplomatic communiqués. There is history in that relationship. There is blood, sacrifice and solidarity in that history,” the minister said.

Enikanolaiye said Nigeria was particularly concerned about the loss of lives resulting from Afrophobic violence, disclosing that about 90 Nigerians had been killed in such attacks since June 2022.

He added that fresh attacks and displacement had been recorded in 2026.

According to him, the continued violence threatens South Africa’s international reputation, investor confidence and regional integration, while also diminishing the moral authority the country earned through its liberation struggle.

To address the problem, the minister called on South African authorities to strengthen transparent and humane migration systems and ensure that enforcement of immigration laws remained the sole responsibility of the state.

He warned against vigilantism and urged political leaders to exercise restraint in their rhetoric, noting that descriptions of migrants as “criminals” or “job thieves” could create an environment conducive to violence.

Enikanolaiye also advocated greater reliance on facts and data in public discourse rather than misinformation and rumours circulating on social media.

He called for the full activation of existing Nigeria-South Africa early-warning and rapid-response mechanisms to identify and defuse tensions before they escalate into violence.

Beyond government intervention, the minister called for stronger people-to-people diplomacy involving businesses, universities, religious and traditional institutions, youth organisations, civil society groups and the media.

He said such engagement would help rebuild trust and promote a shared African identity.

The minister further disclosed that Nigeria, in partnership with Ghana, would present the issue at the next session of the African Union Assembly of Heads of State and Government.

While acknowledging South Africa’s willingness to discuss the “push and pull factors” associated with migration, Enikanolaiye said greater priority must be given to addressing hate-driven violence and attacks against African nationals.

He said Africa needed to move beyond mere tolerance towards creating a continent where citizens of African countries could live and work with equal dignity.

Enikanolaiye also reaffirmed President Bola Tinubu’s commitment to the welfare and protection of Nigerians abroad.

He cited the President’s intervention in the recent repatriation of Nigerians from South Africa and commended the Heads of Mission in Pretoria and Johannesburg, as well as other stakeholders, for ensuring the exercise was carried out promptly.

The minister said the Federal Government remained committed to working with South Africa, the African Union, ECOWAS and other partners to ensure that the continent’s drive for integration was matched by unity and solidarity in practice.

Deborah Musa

Deborah Musa is a journalist at Punch Newspapers with five years of experience in journalism, including three years covering the judiciary. She focuses on producing accurate, well-researched reports that provide clarity on legal and justice-related issues. Deborah’s work reflects hands-on newsroom experience and editorial diligence.

All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.

Contact: [email protected]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *