Army arrests 18 illegal miners, recovers N2.4m in Niger
August 19, 2026 8:59 am
Commander of the NSCDC Mining Marshals, John Onoja Attah and a representative of the Nigerian Army during the handover process in Abuja. Photo Credit: NSCDC
The Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps Mining Marshals on Wednesday commended the Nigerian Army for its cooperation in the fight against illegal mining following the arrest and handover of 18 suspected illegal miners apprehended at a mining site in Izom, Gurara Local Government Area of Niger State.
The suspects were arrested by troops of the 102 Guard Battalion during a routine operation in the area, where the soldiers uncovered alleged unauthorised mining activities.
Following the arrests, the Army handed over the suspects and exhibits recovered from the site to the NSCDC Mining Marshals headquarters in Sauka, Abuja, in line with established inter-agency protocols.
The collaboration comes amid intensified efforts by security and regulatory agencies to tackle illegal mining, which has raised concerns over the loss of government revenue, environmental degradation and the diversion of Nigeria’s mineral resources.
Reacting to the development in a statement, the Commander of the NSCDC Mining Marshals, Assistant Commandant of Corps John Onoja Attah, described the Army’s action as exemplary, unprecedented and patriotic.
Attah said the development reinforced the military’s commitment to protecting Nigeria’s mineral resources and supporting efforts to sanitise the mining sector.
He said, “The Nigerian Army has once again distinguished itself through professionalism, discipline and patriotism. The swift arrest of the suspects and their prompt handover to the Mining Marshals reflect a commendable commitment to the rule of law and the protection of Nigeria’s solid mineral resources.”
Preliminary investigations by the Mining Marshals indicated that the suspects allegedly operated without licences, permits or affiliation with any registered mining company.
The investigators also said the suspects could not provide evidence of lawful mineral titles or authorisation from the relevant regulatory authorities.
Several items suspected to have been used for the illegal mining operation were recovered from the site. They included motorcycles, pumping machines, crusher engines, communication devices and cash amounting to N2,468,750.
Attah reiterated the determination of the Mining Marshals to ensure that individuals involved in illegal mining were brought to justice.
He added that the Corps, under the leadership of its Commandant-General, Prof Ahmed Audi, would continue to deploy intelligence-driven enforcement measures against what he described as economic saboteurs operating in the mining sector.
The commander also assured stakeholders in the solid minerals industry that the Mining Marshals remained committed to enforcing the provisions of the Nigerian Minerals and Mining Act and protecting the nation’s mineral wealth from illegal exploitation.
Also speaking, Abdul Ben of the Open Dialogue Initiative praised the Nigerian Army for what he described as a professional operation, saying the military’s intervention had further strengthened ongoing efforts to curb illegal mining across the country.
The Mining Marshals said investigations had been concluded and that the suspects were being processed for prosecution in accordance with the relevant provisions of the Nigerian Minerals and Mining Act, 2007.
The PUNCH journalist, Adebayo, has over 20 years of experience covering politics, health, metro, entertainment and properties
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]
