A mum who was jailed after the death of her son moaned “it’s not fair” after her boyfriend brutally battered him. Zoe Coutts, 35, made the comments as police raided her home after Scott O’Connor, 36, had launched an attack on two-year-old Kol Page in April 2022 which ultimately caused the toddler’s death.

The toddler was subjected to escalating violence while in the pair’s care, Southwark Crown Court heard. After being attacked by O’Connor, who was also jailed, little Kol was left brain damaged and severely injured and he died two years later.

Coutts was found guilty of allowing O’Connor, whom she met on the dating app Bumble, to attack her son, violently beating and causing injuries of a force “seen in a serious road traffic accident”.

After meeting O’Connor on the dating app in the autumn of 2021, Coutts, from Kent, was accused alongside her boyfriend of inflicting “catastrophic” harm to her child and concocting a “tissue of lies” to avoid responsibility – even blaming the toddler for his own injuries due to his “clumsiness”, reports the Mirror.

Coutts was sentenced to 10 years in prison for allowing the death of her child while O’Connor was sentenced to 18 years for manslaughter and a five-year extended licence period. Footage released by police showed her wailing to officers as paramedics arrived: “It’s not fair.”

The jury at Southwark Crown Court were told Kol’s “catastrophic” injuries were of the force “seen in a serious road traffic accident or a fall from a height onto a hard object”.

Undated handout photo issued by the Metropolitan Police of Zoe Coutts, 35, the mother of Kol PageView 4 Images

Zoe Coutts moaned ‘it’s not fair’ to police (Image: Metropolitan Police/PA)

Paramedics from the London Ambulance Service attended to Kol on April 25, 2022, where they found the toddler not breathing and with bruises on his face, as well as a serious injury to his abdomen caused by a stamp or punch.

He lived for two years before passing away from his injuries aged just four years and three months on June 29, 2024.

Judge, The Honourable Mr Justice Johnson, said Coutts, who wept as she was being sentenced, “did not directly inflict the violence”, but told her she “failed to take steps to protect him [Kol] from your partner despite the obvious signs of what was happening”.

Sentencing Coutts, she was told: “You must have known that the injuries were inflicted by Scott O’Connor. Instead of protecting Kol from O’Connor, you continued to live with him. Instead of taking Kol to receive the medical attention that he so obviously needed, you went to watch a football match with Scott O’Connor.’

Undated handout photo issued by the Metropolitan Police Scott O'Connor, 36, the ex-boyfriend of Zoe CouttsView 4 Images

Scott O’Connor battered the helpless toddler, causing his death(Image: Metropolitan Police/PA)

The judge told the pair: “Each of you continues to deny responsibility, each blames the other. Neither of you has shown any remorse.”

Just two weeks before the ultimately fatal attack, Kol was photographed with two black eyes on April 9, 2022. He had suffered bruising of an escalating severity and medical experts told jurors during the trial that the bruising was likely from two punches.

Rather than seeking medical assistance for the bruised toddler, Prosecutor Ed Vickers KC said the couple went to a football match. Jurors were shown text messages between Coutts and O’Connor, including an exchange on the morning of April 20, 2022, during the trial.

Coutts messaged O’Connor during the exchange to say Kol had been “whinging”, to which O’Connor replied: “Jesus slap him back to sleep lol.”

Kol was taken to hospital after emergency services were called on April 25, 2022. The toddler required surgery and three injuries to the small bowel were seen.

Undated handout photo issued by the Metropolitan Police of Kol PageView 4 Images

Tragic Kol Page died aged four(Image: Metropolitan Police/PA)

Prosecutors said the injuries were caused by significant force to the abdomen, as the result of a punch, kick or stamp. Kol suffered internal bleeding as a result of his injuries leading to cardiac arrest which resulted in severe brain damage.

The injuries inflicted on Kol were so severe that doctors could not give him enough medication to take away his pain as it could have risked causing his death. Following the brutal assault and subsequent surgery, Kol was placed into the care of foster parents.

In a victim impact statement, the toddler’s foster parents described how he was so badly injured they initially moved into the hospital to look after him. His foster mother said he was “in so much pain” and that she “stayed up night after night caring for him”.

She told the court: “I immediately fell in love with him. I knew he needed someone to be there for him, to protect him. He was in so much pain. He would cry out in pain so much. You could hear him from the lifts as you walked into the hospital. I knew it was him as he had such a distinctive cry.

“It was so hard to comfort him, I wanted to cuddle him but it would cause him too much pain. But it was nice as the staff would say thank goodness you are here, as when he could hear my voice it would placate him. This meant that I knew he loved me in the same way I loved him.

“I see him as my child – I may not have given birth to him, but I see him as my son. I am blessed to have been able to have looked after Kol for the time I did.”

Charles Langley KC, defending Coutts, said it was O’Connor “who caused all the injuries to Kol”. Michael Turner KC, for O’Connor, said he had a “momentary loss of control” and there was no intention to kill Kol.

Jurors cleared the couple of murder but convicted Coutts of causing or allowing the death of a child, and O’Connor, her boyfriend at the time, of manslaughter. The judge said O’Connor had carried out a “deliberate intentional assault“ on an “innocent and defenceless two-year-old boy”.

He was told: “You struck a two-year-old child with sufficient force to tear internal tissues and cause catastrophic bleeding. You have shown no remorse, no insight and no acceptance of responsibility.” While being led away after being jailed, O’Connor shouted: “For something I didn’t f****** do mate.”

Det Chief Insp Kate Blackburn, who led the investigation, said: “Kol was an innocent little boy who suffered horrific abuse in the place where he should have been safest – at home with his mother.

“Coutts and her boyfriend, O’Connor, tried to deceive paramedics, doctors and police officers, repeating lie after lie about how Kol came to be so seriously injured.

“Kol was boisterous, cheeky and endlessly loving to everyone who knew him. He should have had a bright future, but was instead let down by those who should have protected him most.”

Richard Murrison, of the Crown Prosecution Service, said: “Kol was a little boy who deserved to be safe, loved, and protected. That he was so catastrophically failed by the very people who should have cared for him most is something that will stay with everyone who has been involved in this case.

“Scott O’Connor subjected Kol to a campaign of abuse so severe that it ultimately cost him his life. His own mother, Zoe Coutts, did nothing to protect him, stop the abuse, or report what was happening.”

An NSPCC spokesperson said it was a “heartbreaking case” and “Kol was subjected to sustained violence that caused catastrophic injuries and ultimately led to his death”.

They said: “Babies and young children are particularly vulnerable to abuse because they are completely reliant on the adults around them for care and protection. Also, there may be no regular involvement with professionals if parents or carers choose to care for their children at home and keep others away.

“We all have a part to play in keeping children safe, and sometimes that means asking difficult questions and thinking the unthinkable. We all need to challenge things that don’t seem right and share our worries with those who can intervene.

Article continues below

“Anyone who has concerns about a child’s welfare or safety can contact the NSPCC’s free and confidential helpline on 0808 800 5000 or email help@nspcc.org.uk. People should call the police on 999 if a child is in immediate danger.”

Coutts and O’Connor both denied murder, but O’Connor was convicted of the lesser charge of manslaughter while Coutts was found guilty of allowing the death of a child, after 10 hours and 45 minutes of deliberations by a jury.

Get more Daily Record exclusives by signing up for free to Google’s preferred sources. Click HERE.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *