Roy Keane insists he’s “still got his doubts” about Michael Carrick being handed the Manchester United job – and claims the heat will ramp up next season if results go against the Red Devils.
Carrick has excelled during his brief period in charge having taken on the job following the sacking of Ruben Amorim in January. The former player has presided over an impressive run of form, that has seen United rise up the table and secure third spot.
Despite the club originally eyeing up other options, Carrick has made himself impossible to ignore and its understood a two-year deal has been tabled for him to become the next United manager.
The 44-year-old has masterminded wins over Arsenal, Manchester City, Liverpool and Aston Villa – all aiding his case to get the job full-time. Some have pointed to United’s lack of games, allowing Carrick more time with his players away from the demands of a hectic fixture list.
And Keane insists major problems still exist at Old Trafford, underlined by them keeping just two clean sheets in ten games, with the former captain insisting tough times may lie ahead.
The Irishman said on Sky Sports: “Was he still the best options out there? We obviously don’t know what other managers they spoke to. The fact he was winning matches, but again, still huge problems at Man Utd.
On the need for transfers Keane went on to say: “That’s going to be his remit, getting players in, getting some physicality in the middle of the park, stop giving away the amount of goals they’re giving. That’s now the bigger picture he’s got to try and fix. So that’s the challenge, and obviously over the next few months, whenever they have a sticky patch, the issue will be has he got the experience to deal with it.
“He’s been at Middlesbrough and had spells at United so he’s got the opportunity and if he does well, fantastic. I’ve got my doubts. But we’ll wait and see.”
View 2 ImagesMichael Carrick is closing in on the Man Utd job(Image: Manchester United via Getty Images)
United have previously employed a former player off the back of a successful interim spell, doing so with Ole Gunnar Solskjaer back in 2019. The Norwegian would fail to win any silverware in his three years before his spell ended with a string of poor results and parallels had been drawn with Carrick’s situation.
The ex-Middlesbrough boss was coy when quizzed on his future after United beat Nottingham Forest, admitting there will be news to come in the coming days.
Carrick said after Sunday’s win: “Over the coming days there will be clarity on the situation. Today was about the game and getting the right result and some individuals shining. Whatever the news is going to be, I’m sure you’ll get it in the next few days.”
Article continues below
Join our new WhatsApp community! Click this link to receive your daily dose of Mirror Football content. We also treat our community members to special offers, promotions, and adverts from us and our partners. If you don’t like our community, you can check out any time you like. If you’re curious, you can read our Privacy Notice.
Sky Sports, HBO Max, Netflix and Disney+ with Ultimate TV packageThis article contains affiliate links, we will receive a commission on any sales we generate from it. Learn more
£44SkyGet the deal here
Sky has upgraded its Ultimate TV and Sky Sports bundle to now include HBO Max, Netflix, Disney+, discovery+ and Hayu, as well as 135 channels and full Sky coverage of the Premier League and EFL.
Sky broadcasts more than 1,400 live matches across the Premier League, EFL and more with at least 215 live from the top flight alongside Formula 1, darts and golf.
