Three sisters who died in a seaside tragedy had reportedly never recovered from the devastating loss of their mother, who died in similar circumstances years earlier.

The bodies of Jane Adetoro, 36, Christina Walters, 32, and Rebecca Walters, 31, were recovered from the water off Brighton beach earlier this month, reports the Mirror.

The sisters, from Uxbridge in North West London, are believed to have travelled to Brighton in the early hours of the morning. Relatives have said they were not aware of their plans that day, but have since reflected on whether the trip may have been linked to the memory of their mother, who also died by drowning in Birmingham aged 43.

The tragedy has left a fourth sister, 25-year-old Lilly, understood to be devastated and struggling to come to terms with the loss.

Family members are expected to be involved in planning the sisters’ funerals, with suggestions that Lilly, who lives in the United States, may take a leading role in arrangements alongside other relatives. Step-mum Genevieve Barnaby-Adetoro said she believed it was important for Lilly to be included.

She said Lilly had spoken about wanting to honour her sisters in a meaningful way, including plans for white caskets, white roses, and a carriage procession to reflect their memory.

However, questions remain over what led the three women into the water. While one family member suggested they may not have been strong swimmers, another relative said they were confident the sisters could swim, recalling childhood memories of them in the water.

View 2 Images

Janice Adetoro(Image: BPM MEDIA)

Police have confirmed there is currently no evidence of criminality or third-party involvement. Specialist officers continue to investigate the circumstances, reviewing hundreds of hours of CCTV and carrying out enquiries in the area around Madeira Drive.

Emergency services were called at around 5.45am on May 13 following concerns for a person’s welfare. The bodies were later recovered from the sea.

All three women were from the Uxbridge area.

Their father, Joseph, paid tribute to his daughters, describing them as the “joy, strength and light” of his life. He said there were days when grief felt “unbearable,” but that he held onto their memories and the bond they shared.

He added: “Each of you was unique and precious in your own special way. Your smiles brightened dark days, your laughter brought comfort, and your presence made life more meaningful. Though your time on earth was short, the impact you made will remain in our hearts forever.”

Family members described the moment they learned of the tragedy, saying they had been watching news reports without realising the victims were their own loved ones until police confirmed it in person.

One relative said they were asked to go and formally identify the sisters one by one.

The case has also reopened painful memories of the family’s earlier loss, after their mother, Janice Adetoro, died following a disappearance linked to mental health struggles years earlier. Reports suggest she went missing from Erdington, Birmingham, in the early hours of the morning, with differing accounts of whether the incident took place in 2010 or 2012.

At the time, she was reported to have been living with two daughters aged 15 and 20, while another daughter lived with her father in Bedfordshire.

Police have urged anyone with information about the Brighton incident to come forward, particularly anyone who may have seen the sisters in the Madeira Drive area between the evening of May 12 and the early hours of May 13.

Chief Superintendent Adam Hays said officers were committed to “leaving no stone unturned” as they work to understand the events leading up to the tragedy.

An inquest into the sisters’ deaths is due to open at Brighton Coroner’s Court on May 29.

Article continues below

Get more Daily Record exclusives by signing up for free to Google’s preferred sources. Click HERE

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *