Three sisters who died in a seaside tragedy never recovered from their mum’s tragic death in similar circumstances.

The bodies of Jane Adetoro, 36, Christina Walters, 32 and Rebecca Walters, 31, were pulled from the water off Brighton beach earlier this month. Relatives of the women, from Uxbridge, North West London, have reportedly said they had not known they were travelling to Brighton that morning, but had since reflected on whether they may have been marking the memory of their mother, who died by drowning in Birmingham, aged just 43.

Now, the three women have left behind a devastated fourth sister. Lilly, a 25-year-old half sister, is reported to be inconsolable.

Female family members are likely to organise the funeral, the Mail reported, with dad Joseph currently not having the strength to do so. Step-mum Genevieve Barnaby-Adetoro said she thinks it is “right” that Lilly, who lives in the US, is involved.

“We’ve said she can be in charge of their homecoming and she wants it to be as beautiful as possible, with white caskets and white roses,” she said. “She even wants a carriage to take them home, to honour them. We will ask her to pick their clothes.”

It is still not clear why the three women were in the water and Genevieve believes it possible they could not swim. Ajike Johnson, aunt to the three sisters, consoled Genevieve and said she was sure that they could.

“Genevieve, you didn’t teach them, but they would have learned when they were young, before they lived with you,” she said. “I’m sure they could swim… I remember Jane coming with us to that water park in Bolton when she came to stay. I’m sure she was swimming then.”

Family including the three girlsView 2 Images

The family has spoken of their devastation after the incident(Image: Family Handout )

Sussex Police said there was no evidence to suggest criminality or that anyone else was involved, but specialist detectives are working to gather the full facts and circumstances around their deaths. Hundreds of hours of CCTV footage have been reviewed and inquiries made to businesses and properties around the beach area to try to track the women’s last movements, the force said.

Emergency services were called after concerns were raised for a person’s welfare at around 5:45am on May 13, before three bodies were pulled from the water near Madeira Drive.

Thee three women were from the Uxbridge area of London.

Their father Joseph paid tribute to his three daughters “whose lives ended so tragically far too soon”.

He said there are days when the grief feels “unbearable” but he holds onto the memories they shared and “the bond that death can never take away”.

A statement said: “Jane, Christina, and Becky were more than daughters to me; they were my joy, my strength, and the beautiful light that filled our family with happiness and love.

“Each of you was unique and precious in your own special way. Your smiles brightened dark days, your laughter brought comfort, and your presence made life more meaningful.

Janice AdetoroView 2 Images

Janice Adetoro(Image: BPM MEDIA)

“Though your time on earth was short, the impact you made will remain in our hearts forever.”

Genevieve revealed she and Joseph were watching the news at their home. Ajike said she was pinged a Sky News updates about the unfolding incident on her phone.

Later, the police phoned and asked Joseph if he had children. When he said yes, officers arrived to inform them in person.

“We’d been watching the news and had no idea it was our girls,” said Genevieve. “We didn’t even know they were in Brighton. Then we had to go and identify the girls, one by one.”

The terrible incident has been a painful reminder of the death of mum Janice, who suffered from stress-related mental health problems before disappearing from her home in the Birmingham suburb of Erdington in the early hours of the morning. Reports suggest the tragedy happened in January 2012, but family members have said it took place in 2010.

At the time, it was reported Janice lived with with two daughters, aged 15 and 20, and had a third daughter, aged 16, who lived with her father in Bedfordshire. At the time, Janice’s brother, Lincoln Walters said he had not heard from his sister since New Year’s Day, while her mum, Cynthia Smith-Walters, told how she had not seen Janice since their Christmas Day dinner.

Police said anyone with information regarding this month’s incident is asked to come forward, particularly anyone who saw the sisters around the Madeira Drive area between 10pm on May 12 and 5.30am May 13.

Chief Superintendent Adam Hays said the force “will leave no stone unturned” in the investigation to understand what led to the “tragic events of that Wednesday morning”.

Article continues below

“The thoughts of everyone at Sussex Police are with the family of Jane, Christina and Rebecca following this devastating loss,” he said. “This investigation will continue in earnest, with Jane, Christina and Rebecca’s family at its centre. I would ask that they are given the privacy to come to terms with this terrible tragedy.”

Anyone with information can contact police online or via 101 quoting Operation Ledmore, serial 438 of 20/05.

An inquest into their deaths will open at Brighton coroner’s court next Friday, May 29.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *