The final two bodies of Italian divers have been recovered from an underwater cave network in the Maldives, authorities said.
Five Italian divers died last week in a suba diving accident after entering a deepwater cave for exploration in the island’s deadliest diving tragedy.
The Maldivian government said both remaining divers have been recovered from the cave and brought to the surface.
“The first one has already been lifted onto a support boat. The second is being brought up by a diver who is observing the decompression stops,” an Italian foreign ministry source told AFP.
The first body among the group was recovered on the same day of the incident and two more were recovered on Tuesday from a cave at a depth of 60m. A Maldivian National Defense Force rescuer also died from decompression complications over the weekend.
The Maldivian government on Monday said three Finnish diving experts, assisted by police and military personnel, located the bodies in the deepest section of the cave.
