AdvertisementChina-North Korea relationsChinaMilitary

Why China may have little to lose as ‘weakened’ Trump seeks North Korea talks

4-MIN READ4-MIN Listen

Donald Trump and Kim Jong-un  pictured during their meeting at the Korean demilitarised zone in 2019. Photo: Reuters

Seong Hyeon ChoiPublished: 10:00pm, 22 Aug 2026

China may have “little to lose” from talks between the United States and North Korea which, analysts say, may lead to Washington watering down its security commitments.

US President Donald Trump has already ordered the Pentagon to “substantially reduce” the scale of the annual Ulchi Freedom Shield exercise with South Korea, criticising the exercise for both its cost and for sending “totally inappropriate and hostile” signals to Pyongyang.

Citing his “very good relationship” with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un, Trump said Pyongyang had been “unthreatening and respectful”, adding that Seoul had said “No thanks!” when asked to join the US in the “denuclearisation” of Iran.

Following Trump’s order, the South Korean defence ministry announced that the joint exercise would end on Friday, six days earlier than initially planned, while also cancelling counter-attack exercises and scaling back field training.

The US leader also said he wanted to meet Kim, whom he met twice during his first term in office, later this year.

He also added that North Korea possessed 57 “very powerful” nuclear weapons.

AdvertisementSelect VoiceSelect Speed00:0000:001.00x

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *