We don’t know if they’re alive, Borno parent laments schoolchildren’s captivity

August 20, 2026 6:53 pm

We don’t know if they’re alive, Borno parent laments schoolchildren’s captivity

By  Fawzi Kehinde

A parent of the schoolchildren abducted in Borno State has lamented the continued captivity of the victims nearly 100 days after their abduction, asking President Bola Tinubu why the children abducted in Oyo State on the same day had been rescued while those in Borno remained missing.

The parent, who spoke with News Central TV, appealed to Tinubu to intervene and ensure the safe return of the children, saying their families had been left in anguish over their prolonged stay in captivity.

“President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, what I have to tell him now, let him rule Nigeria with equal destiny, equal value.

“Because these are our children, they were adopted on the same day with the children of Oyo State. Well, those of Oyo State have been rescued for over a month. While, our children are still in captivity for almost 100 days,” the parent said.

The parent said the uncertainty surrounding the children’s condition had taken a heavy toll on their families, with some parents reportedly hospitalised.

“And which offense have we, the parents, did to the government that we deserve this punishment?

“Please, we need government to rescue our children and bring them back to us. Some of us cannot even speak to the media because of the conditions. Some of us are still in the hospital up to now.

“I can pronounce three people that are in the hospital because of this situation. Please, we need government to bring these children to us in good health. That’s all we ask,” the parent said.

The children were abducted on May 15, 2026, the same day gunmen abducted students and teachers from a school in Oyo State.

While the Oyo victims were later rescued, the Borno children have remained in captivity, a situation that has continued to fuel anxiety among their parents.

The parent said the age of some of the abducted children made the prolonged captivity even more distressing.

“Our own children are younger than their own. Our own, almost like my daughter.

“My daughter reached her own four years on 17 July last month. Well, others are still there in captivity, younger than my own daughter,” the parent said.

The parent said the families had received no information that could assure them of the children’s safety.

“We don’t know, even me as I’m speaking like this, I don’t know whether our children are still alive or they are dead.

“Because we haven’t seen any information, knowing whether they are eating, feeding,” he said.

The uncertainty, the parent said, had become unbearable for the families, who often worried about whether the children had food or shelter.

He said, “If I tell you the situation where we are now, sometimes if rain is coming like that, some of us will start to cry, due to we don’t know the condition of our children.

“We don’t know they are feeding. Did they eat? Are they inside the room when rain is coming? I don’t know how to explain.”

The parent urged Tinubu to intervene urgently, stressing that the families’ only demand was the safe return of their children.

“Please, we need President Bola Ametunibu to look into this situation. Please, let him intervene in this matter and bring these children.

“Please, that’s all we want from the government,” he appealed

Fawzi Kehinde

Fawzi is a journalist and subeditor covering a wide range of beats including politics, metro, and international news, among others. He also optimises stories for digital audiences.

All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.

Contact: [email protected]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *