Trabzonspor tell Saudis to pay €30m for Onuachu

August 18, 2026 1:47 am

Trabzonspor tell Saudis to pay €30m for Onuachu

Trabzonspor’s Paul Onuachu celebrates after scoring during the Süper Lig match against Rizespor at Papara Park, Trabzon, Türkiye, March 14, 2026. (AA Photo)

By  Peter Akinbo

Trabzonspor have told Al Ahli they must pay €30m to sign Paul Onuachu, as the Super Eagles striker faces a defining few weeks over his future at the Turkish club, PUNCH Sports Extra reports.

Onuachu has continued to face uncertainty this summer despite only returning to Trabzonspor last season, with the Saudi Pro League side showing the strongest interest in the 32-year-old and expected to hold another meeting with the Turkish club this week to discuss a potential deal.

The Nigerian is said to be open to leaving Trabzonspor, although any transfer will still depend on whether the club’s demands are met.

Onuachu rejoined Trabzonspor for a second spell after previously enjoying a loan there during the 2023/24 season from Southampton, before making the move permanent.

He went on to enjoy a stunning campaign, scoring 26 goals across all competitions, with 22 of those in the league seeing him finish as the Turkish Super Lig’s joint top scorer alongside Istanbul Basaksehir forward Eldor Shomurodov. He was also instrumental in the club’s Turkish Cup triumph, scoring twice in the 2025 final as Trabzonspor beat Konyaspor 2-1 to lift the trophy.

Trabzonspor had previously rejected two offers for the striker and maintained a firm stance on keeping their Golden Boot winner, but their position is understood to have softened as they close in on a move for former Liverpool striker Darwin Nunez from Al Hilal. Should that deal go through, Trabzonspor would have secured a replacement, potentially clearing the way for Onuachu’s exit.

The club are not short of suitors for their striker. Turkish rivals Fenerbahce had previously shown interest but have since ended their pursuit after turning their attention to Romelu Lukaku, completing a deal for the Belgian from Napoli.

Al Hilal could also enter the race, having already been rebuffed in a reported €130m bid for fellow Super Eagles striker Victor Osimhen, of Galatasaray. Al Hilal may be forced to consider alternative targets, including Onuachu, should Karim Benzema’s reported departure from the club be finalised.

For now, Onuachu remains a Trabzonspor player, but a decision over his future could be made in the coming days as Al Ahli continue to push for his signature, with the Nigerian potentially heading for a new challenge just one year after returning to Turkey on a permanent deal.

Peter Akinbo

Peter, who has been covering sports for PUNCH for close to two years, focuses on combat sports reporting, special features and human angle stories

All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.

Contact: [email protected]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *